Labour candidate for Bridgwater and West Somerset, Wes Hinckes, joined striking workers from the UNITE Union on the picket line this week to show solidarity and to pledge that a Labour Government would not support the ‘outsourcing’ that led to the dispute which has brought over one and a half thousand Bridgwater workers into conflict with their employers.
Labour is the Party of the Workers
Wes Hinckes said “If Argos succeed in driving down wages and conditions through outsourcing, which firms will be next? A Labour Government would put an end to this outsourcing.Under the Conservatives, Britain has dived to third from the bottom of the wages league table. By 2018, it is predicted that wages will have fallen by 6.8%, since 2008, if current economic policies continue.In the world’s sixth richest economy, we see nurses having to use food-banks to get by, six million people earn less than the living wage and four million children are growing up in poverty. A change of government will bring these humanitarian crimes to an end. “
Labour Pledges on Workers Rights
- invest £500 billion in infrastructure and industry, backed up by a publicly-owned National Investment Bank and regional banks.
- create a million good quality jobs across our regions and nations, and guarantee a decent job for all, in a high skilled, high tech, low-carbon economy where no-one and no community is left behind.
- strengthen working people’s representation at work and the ability of trade unions to organise, so that working people have a real voice at work. Labour will give people stronger employment rights from day one in a job, outlaw zero-hours contracts, and create new collective bargaining rights.
- put the defence of social and employment rights, as well as action against undercutting of pay and conditions through the exploitation of migrant labour, at the centre of the Brexit negotiations agenda for a new relationship with Europe.
- ban all zero-hours contracts, put a halt to unpaid internships, end the pay cap on public sector staff and guarantee temporary and part-time workers the same rights as full-time employees.